SURVEYING AND GEOMATICS EDUCATORS SOCIETY
1.The Name of this organization shall be Surveying and Geomatics Educators Society, herein referred to as SAGES.
1. SAGES promotes the effective teaching and learning of surveying, mapping, geomatics, and other spatially‐related education. SAGES is a forum where academia, industry and government work together to exchange ideas, promote common causes, and provide opportunities to improve the teaching and learning of geomatics. Purposes include, but are not limited to:
1.Membership in SAGES shall be of the types set forth below:
2. Voting privileges shall be restricted to full members and adjunct members.
1. The officers of SAGES shall be SAGES members in good standing. Officers shall be elected by the SAGES membership. The officers shall serve for a period of two (2) years. The officers shall be:
2. The directors of SAGES shall be SAGES members in good standing. There shall be four (4) voting directors elected by the SAGES membership. The directors shall serve for a period of four (4) years with two director positions elected every two years.
3. The officers and directors shall constitute the SAGES Board of Direction. They shall be responsible for the management, policy, procedures and operations of SAGES providing that all actions are in conformity of these bylaws.
4. The President shall preside at all meetings of SAGES membership and act as Chair of the SAGES Board of Direction. The President shall appoint the chairs of all special committees and perform other duties consistent with the goals and objectives of SAGES. The President will execute the directives of the Board of Direction and has final approval of all expenses and annual budgets.
5. The President‐elect shall assume all the duties and responsibilities of the President in the absence of the President. The President‐elect shall perform such duties as may be requested by the President. The President‐elect shall succeed the President after serving as President‐elect.
6. The Secretary shall record the minutes of all official meetings, conduct necessary correspondence, assure communication among Board members, schedule meetings and distribute the minutes and other relevant information to all Board members within an appropriate period. The Secretary shall perform other duties as requested by the President.
7. The Treasurer shall plan the annual budget, monitor and pay invoices in a timely manner, and keep the financial records of SAGES. The Treasurer shall prepare a budget report for each Board meeting and shall present an annual budget for approval of the Board at a meeting prior to the implementation of the budget.
8. The immediate Past‐president shall add his or her experience as President to the current President and the Board of Direction and shall be the chair of the Nominations Committee.
9. Directors shall assist the officers in the management of SAGES and shall participate in all meetings and official actions of SAGES. The Directors shall participate in the committees of SAGES and shall bring agenda items forward from the membership of SAGES to the Board for action.
10. The Secretary and the Treasurer shall be appointed annually by the President subject to approval by the Board. All other officers shall be elected by the general membership of SAGES in an election conducted by mail or other Board authorized method. The election shall be held by October 31 of the preceding year.
1. Nominations for SAGES officers and directors shall be made by the Nominations Committee chaired by the Past‐president and consisting of the two junior directors. Other committee members may be added at the Past‐president’s discretion.
2. The Nominations Committee will meet and will present a slate of candidates to the Board for approval subject to additional nominations by petition.
3. Nominations shall include:
1. Members of SAGES may resign upon written notice. However dues will not be reimbursed.
2. The Board of Direction shall have the authority to meet for cause or emergency to order the filling of vacant office(s) according to ARTICLE IV.
3. SAGES reserves the right to withhold membership privileges from any member in arrears for dues and to revoke membership for those remaining in arrears for 120 days after written notice.
4. SAGES reserves the right to discontinue membership to any member who does not continue to meet the requirements of membership. Members shall be given written notification and discontinued members have 60 days to request a hearing before the Board. Hearings shall be held within 60 days after formal receipt of a request for a hearing.
1. The Board of Direction shall hold an annual meeting at least once a year within the first six (6) months of the year. A majority of officers and directors shall constitute a quorum to transact the business of SAGES.
2. The SAGES General Membership meeting shall be held at least once every two years and shall coincide with the time and place of the SAGES conference.
3. Other meetings may be held at such time and place determined by the officers and directors of SAGES.
1. Committee chairs shall be appointed by the President. The President may also appoint members to the committee. Additional committee members may be appointed by the committee chair.
2. All committee chairs and committee members shall be SAGES members in good standing. Committee members need not be members of the Board nor need be voting members of SAGES.
3. No committee action shall be construed as representing SAGES until and unless such action is approved by the Board of Direction. The Board shall approve committee actions at meetings as defined in ARTICLE VII. All communication between the committee and the President will be copied to the Secretary and entered as a part of official SAGES records.
1. Annual dues for membership in SAGES shall be established by majority vote of the Board of Direction.
2. Dues shall be based on the calendar year but services shall be provided as of the initial date joined.
3. The President and Treasurer shall authorize expenditures of SAGES funds. In the event that the President is unable to authorize such expenditures, the President‐elect shall have the authority to authorize expenditures in accordance to the budget.
4. No compensation or payment shall be paid to officers or directors of SAGES except as reimbursement of expenses made on behalf of SAGES and approved by a majority vote of the Board of Direction.
5. In the event of the dissolution of SAGES, the funds shall revert to a trust fund for scholarships as designated by the Board of Direction or by an executor named by the Board or by court order.
1. Amendments to these bylaws shall be approved by a three‐fourths (3/4) affirmative vote of the Board of Direction. Approved amendments must be ratified by two‐thirds (2/3) of voting members by ballot.
2. Amendments shall be documented and kept by the Secretary.
3. A copy of the most current bylaws shall be available to every SAGES member who shall so request a copy.